If you order catalogs now you should have them sometime in January when you are very desperate to dream about all of the flowers and yummy fresh veggies you can plant in the Spring. I love to plan out my veggie garden in January and spend time looking over my catalogs for the best tomato, new plants to try, and new sunflowers. I try to plant at least one new veggie and flower each year. I have to pare back my plans somewhat as initially I will want to plant everything, even veggies we don't eat.
I keep two catalogs year round because I never know what kind of seeds I will need to order and I prefer to look through a catalog instead of on a website.
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds- This one is fun to look through. They have some strange and interesting vegetables listed. You will also find some interesting quotes as you look through the pages.
Johnny's Selected Seeds- I usually order my cold season seeds from Johnny's. They have just about anything you are looking for available.
I am going to try not to order a bunch of catalogs this year. Here are my reasons:
1. I hate clutter and will just throw them away after I look through them which is a waste.
2. I don't have extra gardening money to order special roses, lilies, and bulbs so why tempt myself?
3. I will make even larger dreams after looking through them.
But here are some reasons to order flower catalogs even if you aren't going to order plants or seeds:
1. You will find lots of design ideas.
2. You can cut out pictures to add to a design file just as you would for your home plans.
3. Inspiration to get back out to the garden especially if your last gardening season was a little discouraging.
And here are some I have found inspiring in the past.
White Flower Farm- they have a catalog with designed gardens. I found looking at the plant combos very informational.
Heirloom Roses- I just found this site. I can't find a catalog but I will be visiting again for all the info on roses.
Jackson and Perkins- Flowers and luxuries for the gardener.
And did you know that some companies specialize only in tomatoes? Yeah, here you go.
Tomato Growers Supply Company
Tomato Bob's Heirloom Tomatoes
|Don't be fooled, this is my toy!|
And now I will force myself to stop looking up catalogs for you because the temptation to start filling in order forms is growing too strong! Have a happy week of garden dreaming! Well, those of you who are facing spring and summer please enjoy it for me!